Sex is an integral part of a successful and happy marriage. But competitive lifestyles, improper food, Lack of physical exercise and hectic schedules are contributing factors for loss of libido.
According to the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) study, about 43 percent of women and 31 percent of men suffer sexual inadequacy for one reason or another. The number of such cases is increasing every day. The reasons cited includes-
I) Physical causes: Wide range of illnesses, physical changes and medications can cause low sex drive.
1. Aging / Premature Aging:
2. Medical diseases: Numerous nonsexual diseases can also affect desire for sex, including Arthritis, Diabetes, High blood pressure, Obesity, Cancer, Cardiovascular diseases, Coronary artery disease, Thyroid disorders and Neurological diseases like Depression. Infertility also can contribute to low sex drive. A variety of medical problems and chronic physical conditions can diminish male & female sex drive.
3. Medications: Many prescription medications including antidepressants, blood pressure medications, tranquilizers and chemotherapy drugs are notorious libido killers. Antihistamines also can diminish sex drive.
4. Alcohol and smoking: A glass of wine may make feel amorous, but too much alcohol can spoil sex drive; the same is true with smoking. . Illicit substances, such as heroin, cocaine, and marijuana, when used heavily and chronically, may also cause loss of libido.
5. Surgery: Any surgery related to breasts or genital tract can affect body image, function and desire for sex.
6. Sexual problems: Pain during sex (dyspareunia) or inability to orgasm (anorgasmia), can hamper desire for sex.
7. Menopause: Changes in hormone levels, change desire for sex.
8. Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Can low desire for sex.
II) Psychological causes:
There are many psychological causes of low sex drive, including:
Mental health problems, such as anxiety or depression
Stress, such as financial stress or work stress
Poor body image
History of physical or sexual abuse.
III) Relationship issues:
Lack of connection with partner
Unresolved conflicts or fights.
Western medicine relies on aggressive prescription drugs and surgery to deal with many problems related to sexual dysfunction. Unfortunately, these methods often result in unwanted and even dangerous side effects.
In Ayurveda management of sex related diseases come under the category of VAJIKARANA. Vajikarana, is one of the eight major specialties of Ayurveda.
Vajikarana is “Treatment which makes a man sexually able to copulate for long and frequently.” Vajikarana prescribes the therapeutic use of various aphrodisiacs and tonic preparations for enhancing the reproductive capabilities and vigor of men and women, while strengthening the body and overall well-being.
Vajikarana Treatment includes:
1. Virechana (Purgation therapy)
2. Basti (Variety of medicated Enemas)
3. Shirodhara therapy
4. Nasya (Nasal infusion)
5. Abhayanga Swedana (Massage)
6. Herbal oral medications ,with advice on diet, Exercise, Yoga and Relaxation which help men and women to reach their peak and overcome sexual concerns through safe and natural means.
Vajikarana, deals not only with modes of increasing sexual vigor but also psychosomatic disorders.
All above and more authentic Ayurvedic Treatments are available at our center.